|THE CITY OF THESSALONIKI |
Monuments and Churches
Galerian Arch (Kamara) erected short before 305 A.D.
The Rotonda, a domed building of early 4th century A.D., destined to serve as a Pantheum or as a Mausoleum for emperor Galerius.
The Ahiropiitos (middle 5th century A.D.) and the cruciform church of Ossios David (late 5th century A.D.), the chapel of the Latomos Convent, are the two early christian churches that still stand in Thessaloniki .
The Walls were erected during the time of Theodossios the Great to gird the city from Democracy Square of nowadays across Eptapyrgio up to the site later occupied by the White Tower , a work of the architect Sinan (first half of 16th century).
Agios Dimitrios, was completely rebuilt in 1948 according the original plans. The church has been destroyed twice before by fire.
The Crypt, the most easterly section of the Bath , is the place where St. Demetrios was imprisoned, tortured and buried.
Agia Sofia (8th century) marks the transition from the domed basilica to the domed cruciform church.
Panagia Halkeon , a cruciform church, was built in 1028 A.D. according an inscription of that era.
Agia Ekaterini (13th century) is very well preserved externally, with traces of frescoes inside.
Agioi Apostoli (l4th century) retains a rich decoration both externally and in the interior, dating at the time of the Byzantine Paleologos imperial dynasty.
Agios Nikolaos Orfanos (14th century), 20 Irodotou Str.. tel. 213.627 richly decorated with frescoes became in the 17th century the chapel of Vlatadon Monastery. Its form has been greatly changed since the time of its erection.
Profitis Ilias was built in 1360 upon the ruins of a Byzantine palace by the monk Makarios Houmnos.
The post byzantine era has also left in Thessaloniki an important number of churches.