For candidates with an outstanding academic record, every year the University of Sheffield offers a small number of fee waived scholarship positions for students to obtain PhDs through SEERC, on a number of thematic areas.
The process is highly competitive as usually there are more applicants than awards available. The main criteria for selection are academic excellence and the quality of the applicant’s research proposal. It is essential to demonstrate good knowledge of the proposed topic as well as related experience. Opportunities for fee waived study are announced through the SEERC website.
Fee Waivers are given only for full time studies.
The award covers tuition fees only and not living expenses.
The fee waiver award is renewable annually for the duration of the minimum registration period for tuition fee-paying purposes and is subject to satisfactory progress of the student. Note that the first year of the degree will be considered a probationary year. All students will be required to undergo a 'Confirmation Review' which will confirm their registration as a doctoral level student, within the first 12 months of a full-time student's registration (pro-rata for part-time students).
PhD candidates who are offered the fee waiver are expected:
- To adhere to the rules and regulations of the University of Sheffield and SEERC regarding PhD work and performance of research as expressed at the SEERC Doctoral Handbook, the University of Sheffield Code of Practice for Research Degree Programs and the University of Sheffield Research Ethics Policy.
- To use SEERC as their primary affiliation Institute
- To participate to Open and Research seminars organized by SEERC
- To participate actively in the administration and organization of the annual Doctoral Student Conference (DSC) as well as other conferences and workshops organized by SEERC
- To participate actively at the research activities of SEERC and CITY College, the International Faculty of the University of Sheffield. This includes active participation at the SEERC Research Tracks and Research Clusters.
- To be actively involved in academic departmental activities of the relevant Department of CITY College, the International Faculty of the University of Sheffield.